We purchased a new 2005 Toyota Corolla several years ago and had a good experience with the sales team and service department.Although we lived out of town, we continued to bring the Corolla back to Pekin for its regularly scheduled service appointments.

All had gone well until the vehicle went through a costly 100,000 mile check-up. No problems were reported but a couple weeks later, the heater was not working. We called the service department and they recommended that we bring it back in for a check-up. The service department indicated that the heating coils were "gummed over" and that they needed to have a chemical added to circulate through the heating system to "chew through the gum." We were instructed to drive the vehicle for 2 weeks and let it "circulate" through the system.

Within days, the car reeked of a chemical smell. After 1 week, the needle began to indicate that the car was getting hot. The next day, the engine light came on. We called the service department and were told to bring it back to Pekin to have it serviced.

The car died on the way back to Pekin. We paid to have it towed to Pekin and the service department ran $500 worth of diagnostic testing and indicated that the engine was ruined and would have to be replaced. We were told that the cost to replace the engine was equal to the value of the car. The service department provided us with a loaner to use at no charge until we were able to obtain another car; however, they would not admit that their course of action to repair the heater was the likely cause of the engine failure, but the sales team offered to help us find another vehicle because they "appreciated our business." They would offer us very little for the trade in of our now, damaged Corolla and could not provide us with a reasonable deal on the vehicle of our choice.

We made arrangements with a towing company to tow our Corolla back to our home town, at our expense and made arrangements with the service manager to return the loaner car the following day since we would be traveling once again from out of town. When the operations manager, Tom Zwicky learned that we would not be purchasing a car from them, he called me at my place of employment, cursed and yelled at me, threatened me and then hung up on me before I had a chance to speak. I called the dealership back, asking for the name of the individual who had just called and asking to speak to him. I was once again threatened and cursed at and hung up on.

We ended up having to pay the $500 of our service bill and a loaner vehicle charge for everyday we used the loaner, (which we had been told prior would be waived--until we opted to not purchase a car from them).

Had an Experience with Forts Toyota?

Comments

Pekin, Illinois, United States #857099

Hey Mr.Fort do you know how you employees are being treated.

How would you like to have your *** chewed in the showroom floor in front of all your peers. It happened today.

Now you have lost a salesman.I will make sure a lot of people know how people are treated at your business.

Pekin, Illinois, United States #613303

I could tell you without even looking at your car that it was the heater core that went out

Dealership staff are very unprofessional.Last instance was when they completed our paperwork incorrectly costing us a few thousand dollars.Ray Stark screamed at me that he wasn't going to be called a liar.

Screamed. When i asked to speak to his manager, Mr Fort, I was told he wasn't available. And no one else on site could speak with me.

As a consumer, I am amazed by the level of unprofessional and unethical behavior at Fort's Toyota in Pekin, IL.

I encourage consumrrs to be aware. My case is currently being handled by Toyota Consumer Affairs.

I don't know what the outcome will be.I have lost confidence in Toyota as a company.

i was looking at a vehicle at fort's.they gave me a purchase price of 27,500.

the next day toyota added a 2000 rebait. i said i would take that deal. when they did the papers they wrote it up for 26,000 and said "well that's less than 27,500" i told them i passed my third grade meth class and if they didn't want to do it right i was leaving with my check. the two sales people planned to split 500 of my rebate.

then all the sudden they realized the MISTAKE!!!

fat chance!!!!JC

to JC East Peoria, Illinois, United States #586117

JC Congrats on passing 3rd grade meth class should have taken some of that $2000 rebait (rebate) and invested it into 4th grade English. I bet you still bought the car didn't you?

I bought a car from them 10 years ago and had a bad experience.Even the salesman that sold us the car left since then.

I saw him at another car dealer ship and told us he left because of the lies and misleading the customers.Never went back.

Glen Ullin, North Dakota, United States #91241

Once again Forts' not taking responsibility for their actions. They committed a criminal act against me involving identity theft and using my warranty without my knowledge. I am sure someday they will suffer the consequences of their actions.